Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Monday, May 7, 2018

I Want It I Want It I Want It

Seems like teaching + infant = no blog posts for a while! However, things are relatively calm on the home front now (planning a six month update in a few weeks) and, as I had been told, watching babies leads to thoughts about God and how He takes care of us.

Our little guy is about five and a half months old. He can roll over and grab toys and stick everything in his mouth. He has an activity gym that he loves! He can reach all of the dangling toys now, but he can't get them into his mouth. Cue: massive frustration:

Yesterday morning he was just livid that he could not, no matter how hard he pulled, get those rings all the way into his mouth. After a few minutes of yelling and screeching, I had to just scoop him up, give him snuggles, and move him away from his obsession. We went and looked outside, and talked, and walked, and left the scene of the emotion.

As I was holding him and watching him calm down, it struck me that I have done the same thing in my life, albeit in a slightly more subtle (or maybe not) manner. There were times when I was single when I fixated on dating sites and trying to WILL the right guy to contact me. I can fixate on the one chore my husband forgot rather than the seven he completed. More recently, during our adoption wait, I would stalk the "waiting families" page. I would scour other people's profiles to figure out what they were doing that we weren't. I remember crying to our social worker in frustration that our profile page wasn't yet on the portal because the expectant mom for us could be looking RIGHT NOW (a year and a half before we were matched with little guy's mom). In those moments, like our baby who could only see the rings he could not reach, all I could see was the husband or baby or ____________ that I couldn't conjure despite my best efforts.

The Lord, who is a much better parent than I, wants to draw me away from my frustrated fixation to spending time with Him and widening my vision to see the bigger world and what He is doing in it. Sadly, my grown-up self is not as easily moved as an infant, so sometimes I spend far longer than five minutes screeching in frustration at things I can't change.

Little Man will gain access to those rings when he's a big bigger or able to sit up. When the time is right, he'll be able to get them into his mouth or throw them or whatever he wants to do with them. Later in the afternoon, I detached that turtle toy with the rings and handed it to him, thinking that would make him happy. It didn't. He was just as frustrated having them in his hands as when they were attached. Whatever he was wanting to do with them, he wasn't able to do it yet. 

Had I gotten some of the things I wanted when I wanted them, my life would be different. I wouldn't have necessarily been any happier. God, in His wisdom knows when to give me the toy and when to withhold it. 

As I witnessed my son's frustration, the verse that came to mind was from Matthew 11:28-30, when Jesus shared these words:
 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
I am reminded that, when I am caught in the frustration of wanting it RIGHT NOW, I need to turn my eyes to Jesus and let Him calm me, comfort me, and re-orient my vision to the tasks and gifts He has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment