Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

He Can Deal

Reading in Matthew 8:1-3 today, about Jesus healing a man with leprosy:

When he came down from the mountain,great crowds followed him. And behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

The footnotes in my Bible (the ESV Study Bible--lots of good info/background) pointed out that Jesus touched the leper to heal him, and touched him without becoming unclean. It's easy for us to miss that point today, but there were scads of laws about people with skin diseases, and people with leprosy were not allowed to touch anyone, not even their family. Jesus did what no one else could do--touch uncleanness and make it pure.

Most of us have never met or seen anyone with leprosy. However, most of us do deal with our own brand of uncleanness, especially in the area of relationships. Lots of us struggle with being needy, clingy, jealous, guarded, controlling, or naive; all symptoms of our sin which frequently damage our relationships. Jesus is the only one who can deal with those "diseases" without becoming unclean--without being hurt, without hurting back, and without rejecting us. If we bring those feelings to Him, He can handle them without it hurting our relationship. He wants us to come to Him with those areas of our life, like the leper came, and ask for healing.

Realistically, our healing usually doesn't come as instantaneously as the leper's did--one of the results of living in between salvation and Jesus' return. But, little by little, God will help us change and help our relationships to become cleaner and cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment