Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Will We Turn Aside to See?

Today's portion in Exodus chronicled Moses being called by the Lord. These verses were what I noticed today, from Exodus 3:2-4:

And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. And Moses said, "I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned." When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am."

Moses noticed the bush, and then decided to "turn aside" to really explore what was happening. He could have just moved on--a job to do, sheep to lead--but he didn't. His attention was caught by something unusual, something not of this world, and he stopped to investigate. Then I like that the verses say that the Lord saw that Moses turned aside, and then God called to him. The sequence wasn't that God called and then Moses looked, but that Moses turned to look at what God was already doing, and then heard the voice of the Lord.

I need to do this as well--to be alert to where God is working. I need to stop and look when something "not-of-this-world" is happening, and then listen and look for God. Sometimes I am so busy listening for the loud "Hey, Edna, over here!" that I probably miss the opportunities to see what God is already doing, and to hear how He wants me to join Him. May we all not miss the "burning bushes" in our midst!

No comments:

Post a Comment