Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Trying to Figure it Out

Due to various circumstances, I find myself thinking about Psalm 37:25, and its implications:

I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.

The author of the Psalm is David. My dilemma is this: Does the Lord promise to meet the physical needs of every believer?

Interpreting Psalms is a bit tricky, because the psalms are meant to be poetry, and, as such, have to be read that way, because they use imagery and metaphor and hyperbole. The footnote in my Bible about this verse also remarks that it is made specifically about the people of Israel, who were living in community as God's chosen people.

The events in Haiti are contributing to my wrestling with this concept. Thousands of people are hungry in Haiti right now. Surely some of them are Christians? Tens of thousands of children starve to death every DAY. Surely some of them have Christian parents? Does the promise apply only to Israel?

What about the New Testament? Jesus tells us to ask for our daily bread. He says to seek first the righteousness of God and the "rest" will be added:

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:31-33)

Does this apply only in the context of living in Christian community? Because if we are living in a community of believers, then we should be providing for the needs of those in our midst. What defines community? Am I not a part of the community of the believers in Kenya? Is this a promise to be realized fully when there is a new heaven and a new earth, because, for now, satan (the little "s" is the middle finger of grammar, for all you fellow John Acuff fans) has some power in the earth?

Or, are followers of Jesus taken care of and I just don't know or believe it--or at least I don't believe the true extent of it?

I would really like some input from anyone out there reading this who has struggled with the same questions.

I fully believe that Jesus wins in the end, and that our spiritual needs are met, and that He will make it all right in the next world. But how do some of those promises apply right now, today?

Sorry, more questions than answers today!

No comments:

Post a Comment