Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Many are the Plans. . .

. . . in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails (Proverbs 19:21).

I have been thinking about this verse as I read the stories in Genesis and Exodus. One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Joseph, because of how clearly it shows the sovereignty of God and how it encourages me to never give up. Joseph was sold by his brothers into slavery, then falsely accused of rape and put in prison for about two years, and then promised to be remembered to the Pharaoh by a fellow prisoner who was set free, then forgotten, and then finally God orchestrates matters to liberate him. His brothers come back 20 years later, begging for food; Joseph reveals himself to them and they are overcome with guilt and fear. Joseph's reply in Genesis 45:5 and 7 (NIV):



And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. . .But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

And, more well known, in Genesis 50: 19-20, Joseph reassures his brothers after their father, Jacob, dies:

But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."


God was in control all along, and had a purpose and a plan.

Today I read in Exodus 1 and 2 about the birth of Moses, and, again, God is at work. The Pharaoh has declared that all Hebrew male babies be destroyed, because he is afraid that boys grow into men who turn into soldiers to defeat their oppressors. Pharaoh is apparently not worried about the women. Yet, it is the Hebrew midwives who fear the Lord and disobey Pharaoh that help save Moses (and others). It is Moses' mother who hides him for three months, his sister who carries him to the river and then boldly secures for his mother the job of wet nurse, and Pharaoh's daughter who rescues Moses from the river. Women are central to the rescue and preservation of Moses' life. Again, God is working in the details.

These stories are what strengthen my faith when I or my loved ones are the ones who are in the prison for no reason, or who are facing unfair persecution or circumstances. God is indeed working all things together for good (Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.).

No comments:

Post a Comment