Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's in There

One of the things that I like about reading the Bible is when God reveals both the depth of His Word and the depth of my pride by showing me a verse that I would swear to you was not in that chapter the last time I read it. As if I could remember every verse in the book!

Today's surprise was in Matthew 13:51-52, when Jesus is speaking to the disciples after explaining several parables to them:

"Have you understood all these things?" They said to him, "Yes." And he said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house, who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."


Never have I noticed the last part of the verse, about bringing out "what is new and what is old", which the notes in my Bible explain as understanding how the new teachings of Jesus fit with the Old Testament teachings. As judging from my last post, I would be grateful for the ability to synthesize the Old Testament with the New Testament. What did the disciples to do earn the compliment? They came and asked Jesus to explain the parables to them. . . Ah. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment