Welcome!

So much of life is waiting. . .

As a Christian, I am waiting for a lot--for God to do His refining work in me, for Jesus to return, for me to GET how much God loves me and for me to see what He is doing . . .

What to do in the meantime? I have learned much about what the Lord is trying to teach me, tell me and show me through the discipline of daily time spent reading the Bible. So often we make this time harder than it has to be.

This blog was born out of wanting to share what God is showing me and wanting to be an example that daily time with God is not a deep or mysterious thing (well, every once in a while it can be), but simply a time to read scripture and note what jumps out at you that day. We don't have to be scholars or super-holy or ministry leaders to do this. Some days I hit the jackpot and others I come up empty--but only by persevering do I give God the space in which to speak and myself the stillness in which to hear and obey.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Really?

Along with the convicting verses, there are verses in the Bible that just seem impossible to believe. Psalm 18 is a Psalm of David, celebrating God's faithfulness to him and to Israel. Verse 19 says:

He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.


Really? Just because He delighted in David? Does the Lord rescue me just because He delights in me? Did He come to save us because He delights in us? I think that's definitely a huge part of it. Throughout scripture, the Lord wins victories for Israel and saves them to prove His glory and uphold His reputation. The mighty God defeating a huge army with a tiny troop is a glorious thing for all to see.

Salvation is actually a far more glorious thing, but I don't think the world views it in the same way as God parting the Red Sea or making the sun stand still. If all the Lord wanted was to show His glory, it seems that dying on a cross was a roundabout way of doing that. God chose to send Jesus to die for me, for you, because He delights in us:

Hebrews 12:2:
. . . looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.


We were the joy set before Him. Really? My brain can't quite grasp that. It's my hope that as I see God, He will continue to help me to understand that and live my life accordingly (and you, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment